- Do I need a licence to hire a boat?
No skipper’s ticket or boat drivers licence is required when the boat is hired during the hours of daylight. A skipper’s ticket is only required for the Christmas light night hire. A skipper’s ticket is only required for night hire to view the Christmas lights. However, if you do not have a skipper’s ticket we can supply a guide at an additional charge.
- Why don’t I need a skipper’s ticket to operate one of your boats during daylight hours?
MBBH holds a Certificate of Operation which allows you to enjoy the waterways of Mandurah as long as:
- The vessel stays within the estuary, marina, or peel inlet and does not go out to the ocean.
- The vessel is not capable of exceeding 10 knots
- The driver must receive a briefing from MBBH staff on the safe operation of the vessel
- The vessel can only be used in the daylight hours
- I have never driven a boat before, is it safe?
Yes, it is perfectly safe, just listen to the MBBH staff and follow their instruction and if you’re unsure just ask the staff your questions. We are here to assist you, we are sure you will have a very enjoyable experience.
- Do I need a to have a boat licence/ Recreational Skippers Ticket (RST) to Hire a boat to see the Christmas Lights?
Yes, you will need a skipper’s ticket and this will need to be produced at the time of hire – The Department of Transport Marine Safety has allowed us to extend our licence to operate at night with a couple of extra requirements to our normal operation.
- All vessels have to be fitted with navigation lights.
- The driver / hirer must have a Recreational Skippers Ticket (RST) to show that the driver has operated a vessel and is competent in doing so.
- The vessel must stay in the canals and sheltered waterways and not go out to the ocean.
- I do not hold a skipper's ticket. Can I still see the Christmas lights?
Yes, you can, we can supply a guide to show you the lights for an extra charge.
- What is the length of hire time for the Christmas lights?
The minimum hire time is 1.5 hours Please note: night time hire is 6.30 pm – 10.00 pm. The best time to start is 7.30pm
- What time do I need to be there for my hire?
You will need to be there 15 – 20 minutes before your allocated hire time to ensure you have completed your paperwork and safety briefing so that you can enjoy your full hire time on the water.
- How many people can I have on the boat?
Each boat is licenced for a certain number of people – this number includes all adults, children, and infants. i.e.; the boat is licenced for seven then the maximum people on board inclusive of all children and infants is seven.
- Can I bring my dog on the boats?
- Can I bring food and drinks on the boat?
- Can I fish and crab from the boat?
- We have certain boats that are suitable for fishing & crabbing
- Please advise us you wish to fish when booking
- You will need to hold a fishing from boat licence (issued by the Department of Fisheries)
- You can bring your own fishing and crabbing equipment or you can hire from us
- Can I have BBQ on board?
Yes, you can hire a BBQ from us for $25 or bring your own gas only BBQ. BBQ hires are on available on the 10-person pontoons and the 12-person pontoon (Rambo).